In this weeks podcast I am thinking its time to start sowing some green manure. What are green manures and what do i use? Find out in the podcast. Also hear the latest from the allotment and vegetable patch.
This week on the plots I have been
- Sowing lettuce, onions and parsley
- I had a visitor on the allotment to film a video. This can be found here.
- Harvested some potatoes and sown some green manures.
What have you been up to in your own allotment or garden? Drop me an email Richard@theveggrowerpodcast.co.uk to let me know.
Time to sow green manures.
In recent years I have discovered just how much difference growing green manures can make in a vegetable garden. The nutrients and fertility they add to the soil is not to be sniffed at. They can also help improve soil structure and suppress weeds and of course encourage nature into our plots.
This year I plan to use
- Phacelia to suppress weeds
- Forage rye grass to break up clay soil, suppress weeds and entertain the chickens
- Field beans to add nitrogen to the soil
- Vetch underplanted under my fruit trees and bushes to suppress weeds
With any luck all these green manures will help improve my growing space and give me better crops next year. I get most of my green manure seeds from sowseeds.co.uk I find these have been a very good supplier and highly recommend them.
I also scoured the internet for more resources which ill link below
- Garden organics very informative page on green manures
- RHS page on green manures
- Green manure website specialising in green manures
If you've enjoyed this podcast why not become a supporting member below
The supporter membership is how we fund the veg grower podcast and keep inspiring others to grow there own food. For £5 a month you help us keep going. As a thank, you gift you will receive
- Exclusive podcasts and video with a “behind the scenes” access view of what’s happening here at the veg grower podcast.
- Each month a gift of a few seed packets will be sent to your…
If you like this podcast then please leave a comment below. Don't forget to leave a review on your podcast service. You can also follow me on twitter or Instagram. Like us on facebook. If you want to drop me an email then click here.