Join Richard in this weeks podcast with new theme tune and a slight tweak on the format. This week Richard is sharing what can we do in January in the veg garden. Richard also shares the latest from the plots.
Seeds to sow in January
Certain varieties of the following can be sown outside this month
- Broad beans
- Onion sets
The following can be sown In an unheated greenhouse or under cover
- Spring onions
- Sunner cabbages
- Summer Cauliflower
The following can be sown indoors or in a heated propagator
- Tomatoes but be warned this might get to big to early!!!!
What can we do in January in the veg garden
Tasks to tackle outside this month are
- Prune apple and pear trees, gooseberry and current bushes
- Clear old crops and weeds from beds, mulching with compost and manure as required.
- Plant bare rooted fruit trees and bushes
- Cover rhubarb with an old bin to force rhubarb
- Feed brassicas with a high nitrogen feed making sure they are well netted
If its raining then head into the greenhouse or shed and tackle
- Tidy up greenhouse and shed, cleaning windows to allow better light in.
- Check over any overwintering plants for pests and disease
- Move some potted strawberries inside for an early crop
And for those dark evenings
- Finalise your plans for this year
- Check through seed collections
- Order any seeds and seed potatoes required for this coming year.
I hope you enjoy this weeks podcast. If you have then perhaps you might consider becoming a supporting member which helps me keep the podcast moving forward. Detail below.
The supporter membership is how we fund the veg grower podcast and keep inspiring others to grow there own food. For £5 a month you help us keep going. As a thank, you gift you will receive
- Exclusive podcasts and video with a “behind the scenes” access view of what’s happening here at the veg grower podcast.
- Each month a gift of a few seed packets will be sent to your…