Join Richard in this weeks veg gardening podcast where he discusses what we can be doing throughout October in the veg garden. Richard also shares the latest from the plots.
Product of the month
September saw Richard testing a pair of light weight wellington boots from lbcboots.com.
Overall Richard is very happy with these boots although shaking old habits of using his trainers is a hard habit to crack.
Richard found these boots very comfortable and very lightweight. So light he didn't feel like he was wearing boots at all.
October see's Richard testing a ground stake for when he takes Roxy, his new puppy, to the allotment.
What can I do in the veg garden throughout October.
There's lots that can be done in the veg garden throughout October
Seeds to sow
- Onion sets
- garlic sets
- Peas such as meteor or Feltham first
- Broad beans such as Aquadulce Claudia
- Salad leaf
- Spring onions
- Corn salad
- Land cress
- Micro greens
- Green manures
Tasks to do
- Collect leaf fall to make leaf mould
- Clear plants such as runner beans and courgettes
- Harvest pumpkins
- Stake Brussel sprout plants
- Sow green manures or mulch
- Clean greenhouses
- Ripen tomatoes and peppers
- Cut back yellowing asparagus
- Move citrus plants indoors
- Clear away straw mulches from strawberries
- Divide Rhubarb
- Harvest apples
- Check over any heater and fleeces.