Join Richard in this weeks podcast where he is sharing a Septembers veg gardening tasks and seeds that can be sown. Richard aslo shares the latest from his allotment and vegetable garden.
Item of the month
August's item of the month was the Clarke soil sieve available from Amazon
Septembers Item of the month is a pair of lightweight wellie boots from Leon boots. So far Richard is impressed with these boots, very lightweight and comfortable but more importantly easy to get on and off.
How will they fair in a months time? Keep listening to find out.
Seeds to sow in September
her seeds to sow in September:
- Spring cabbages
- Winter lettuce
- Salad onions
- Green manures
- Chilli’s for overwintering
- Corn salad
- Wok Broc
- Pak Choi
Tasks for September
- Cut back old blackberry canes after fruiting and tie in new canes
- Watch out for blossom end rot on tomatoes by watering consistently
- When asparagus ferns turn brown cut them down
- Keep up wintering of winter squash and pumpkins
- Earth up celery
- Towards the end of the month we can start planting out garlic cloves, onion and shallot sets. Pop to a garden centre to choose the varieties you want to grow.
- Plan what varieties of fruit canes or bushes you might want to plant over the winter. These are old as bare rooted canes throughout the winter months which can be much cheaper to buy.